Passport and DSO FAQs sept 2015
Important points to keep in mind about DSO and Passport:
Passport Funding Process
Understanding the roles of the Developmental Services Ontario and the Passport Agency
- The Developmental Services Ontario (DSO) is the single point of access for funded services for adults 18 years old and over who have a developmental disability. The DSO staff complete the application for Ministry funded services and supports, including Passport.
- In order to be considered for Passport funds or an increase in Passport funds, you must complete an assessment/application package through the DSO. The waitlist for this assessment is up to two years due to the high volume of first time applicants and requests for re-assessment.
- If you have had your DSO application completed in the past five years, and there are no significant changes to your situation, another application will not be required.
- If you do have a significant changing need, contact the DSO intake line. DSO will review your previous application and triage your application according to Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services priority criteria. Examples of significant changing need include: death or illness of a caregiver; imminent loss of housing or day program. If your situation meets this priority criterion, DSO will complete the update ASAP and the updated application will be forwarded to the Passport office when completed.
- Unfortunately absence of day program and/or lack of funding for day supports is not always considered one of the priority criteria at this time, but is considered information DSO can update on your file.
- Once your application/re-application has been completed it will be submitted to Family Service Toronto (FST), the Passport agency. It will be reviewed by the Passport office and added to the waitlist. You will receive a confirmation later informing you FST has received your application and providing you with the name and contact information of your Passport Coordinator.
- Passport funding is allocated when funds are provided by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services). The DSO does not administer or know when money will be released by Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services for Passport applicants. If your application is selected, the Passport office will be in contact with you via phone and/or mail.
- Passport is not “emergency” funding. If you are in crisis, you can call the DSO to link you to the services and supports you may need.
- It is important to keep both DSO and Passport informed of any changes to your contact information.
- Call either office if you have any questions or concerns
- DSO Toronto Region 416-925-4930 Passport Toronto 416-780-1106